Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mormon Mafia

I first heard of the existence of the so-called "mormon mafia" when I was applying to med school. Interviewing can get really expensive, with airfare, hotels and rental cars. If you can connect with someone in the church they can save you a lot of money and provide you with valuable info. Like when I interviewed in Toledo - I had a ride from the airport, a place to stay (thank you Andrew!) and was immediately put in contact with several other mormon med students (including one on the admissions committee) who could share experiences and what they liked or disliked about the program. Once I was accepted to med school, I became a part of the "mormon mafia" and helped similarly strapped-for-cash interviewees.

I discovered today at church that the "mormon mafia" is even bigger in the military. As soon as I walked into the chapel I was greeted by a member of the bishopric. He found out why I was here and he introduced me to one of the pathology residents, who introduced me to one of the pediatric residents, who introduced me to a pediatrician who just graduated from the program I'm interested in, who also knows the program director of said program who just happens to be the Bishop in his ward. (phew... follow all that?) My phone was soon full of new contacts with e-mail addresses, telephone and pager numbers. All these people were more than willing to answer any questions I had and made sure I could contact them if I had any more.

It looks like I choose a good ward to attend on the first Sunday here. It is full of young families in the military. Most of the residents from Wilford Hall attend this ward. They welcomed me and all asked about my wife home alone with two toddlers. Many of the wives here can empathize with Leisy being all by herself right now. It's hard! Especially on Sundays. Love you and miss you жена моя.

1 comment:

  1. Count your blessings ... name them one by one. Isn't it amazing how good people make life so much easier? We are so blessed.

    Sure love you!

    ReplyDelete