Sunday, August 12, 2012

On Call

Since starting my second year in residency I am now free from the intern work hour restrictions.  Last year I couldn't work more than 80 hours per week and my shifts couldn't be longer than 16 hours.  Now that I am a Senior Resident I work 28 hour shifts every 4th day.  Somehow seeing the sun come up, set and then come up again makes me feel like a real doctor.  So far it hasn't been too shabby either.  I've been able to get several hours of sleep at the hospital and have my pager next to me to answer any calls through the night.  It has been relatively quiet at the hospital at night so the next morning I'm not exhausted.  I'll enjoy it while it lasts because I'm sure the days are coming when sleep will be limited and I'll go home exhausted.  My shift ends at 11 AM when I am "post call".  We have been taking full advantage of those post call days!



1 comment:

  1. You are such a fabulous Dad, Kent! Great pictures! I love how you are looking at Zeb in the second one. :) I'm very jealous of all those Ohio-an kids that get you for a pediatrician!!! You are the best ever!

    ReplyDelete