Sunday, July 22, 2012

Diabetes Camp

Midnight and 3AM blood sugar checks!

I just completed the most exhausting 7 days of my life!  I signed up to go to Diabetes Camp this year and loved every second of it.  I did a month of Endocrine during my first year of residency and loved it.  I became interested in everything I saw in clinic and wanted to get more exposure - so I left Leisy home alone with sick kids for 7 days to take care of diabetic kids at their camp.  I was in charge of monitoring their blood sugars and dosing insulin and taking care of problems.  That meant I got up at midnight and 3AM to make sure they weren't too low or too high.  I was in charge of the 7-9 year old kids.  Have you ever had to wake up a sleeping 8 year old at 3AM to make them eat??  If their sugar was too low I had to feed them in the middle of the night.  I struggled to keep them awake long enough to chew some food and take a drink of apple juice.  They never remembered eating the next morning and would laugh and giggle when I told them stories of them falling to sleep with food in their mouths.  It was a great learning experience and had some exciting adventures.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a grueling schedule. Glad you had a good time. What a great thing for those kids. You have always been so good with kids. I'm sure they are better prepared to deal with their diabetes. Hope little Metta is doing better.

    ReplyDelete