Wednesday, September 1, 2010

30 hours later...

I am now working in the hospital on the Pediatric floor. We have been super busy and yesterday completely filled the unit. 16 beds were full and our two over flow beds were filled as well. The attending physician stayed way late to help discharge two patients to free up some beds. I was on call last night and helped fill those two vacancies. We were busy with a full unit and then got called to the ER around 1AM to see a patient. This little girl was swollen everywhere, had really bad edema and needed to be admitted. We often get tested about Minimal Change Disorder and I finally got to see it first hand! We had another girl roll in around 3AM and her admission consumed the rest of the morning!

I get on the shuttle at 5:30AM to make it to morning check out around 6AM
See patients and then have morning report at 7:30
Round on patients until lunch
In the afternoon we check up on patients (and I had an interview with one of the program directors)
Check out to the night shift at 5:00
I stayed on with the night shift - was kept busy all night.
Quick cat nap from 4:30 - 5:30 - had time to prepare for morning check out
Morning report at 7:30
Round on patients until lunch (luckily we ended a little early around 10:45)

I was then allowed to go home to sleep. I slept for 4 hours and forced myself to get up so I would still be tired to sleep tonight! Being on call is rough!

I got my Step 2 score back!!! It's the last graded exam of medical school!! I'm happy with my score and I'm done with tests for the rest of the year!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Kent. That is just exhausting .... and yet, it sounds like you quite enjoyed it. :) Don't know how you did it!! You rock!

    Hope you got an excellent night sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great feeling. We're so proud of you Kent - and yet I know you're doing what you love to do. That must be what kept you going all night. Thanks for the blogs - hope you can keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for Step 2 scores being back! Glad you're happy with your score. I am so glad these tests are done for at least a year! Glad to hear you're enjoying the rotation down there. Denver is great! Crazy huge and busy, but a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete