Sunday, June 16, 2013

Ode to my Father's Crepes

Since today is Father's Day, I thought I would pay a tribute to the time honored tradition of crepe making my Dad passed to me.

Before leaving on my mission my Dad gave me a crepe making tutorial.  Crepes, thin hot cakes, or thinnies have been a long standing Miller tradition.  We have all enjoyed warm, buttery crepes with syrup for breakfast on Sundays and special occasions.  My dad wanted to make sure I carried on the legacy so he handed off all his techniques.  I'm not sure if I ever once made them on my mission - I'm fairly certain I never did.  I have made them a lot since being home from Brazil, and marriage has morphed the tradition slightly.  I know, I know...Modifying the Miller crepes borders on blasphemy.  However, Leisy and I have eliminated the butter and instead we fill our crepes with fresh fruit, nutella, sweet cream cheese spread and top with a dusting of powdered sugar.  Yummy!!  Ike likes his the traditional way and Zeb - the most picky eater ever - is starting to warm up to a taste here and there.

So the other day my blasphemous perversion of tradition went to a whole new level.  Leisy's friend gave her a gift card to Mimi's cafe.  We rarely go there.  I had a chicken crepe dish and thought - I could totally pull something like that off at home.  I looked up a bunch of different recipes and melded them into one that I knew would be amazing.  Chicken Florentine Crepes!  Crepes stuffed with chicken and spinach smothered in a creamy white wine sauce paired with sautéed zucchini and squash .  It was basically amazing.

Thanks Dad for passing on not only your amazing crepe skills but for teaching me how to be a good husband and father.  I can only hope to be the kind of Dad that you have been for me!  Love you Dad!!



2 comments:

  1. I love it. There are so many ways to enjoy crepes! Your creation looks amazing. I may have to try it, though I may be the only one who will try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try it!!!!!!! Yummy!

    (but - buttery with syrup will forever be my fave) :)

    ReplyDelete